Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My quote for the day.....

"Tell the negativity committee that meets inside your head to sit down and shut up. "

I really don't know who said this...I just read it somewhere....no matter how spiritual I want to become I am always human and like everyone else I have a "negativity committee" that loves to have meetings in my head.  When life is going badly, they have frequent, loud meetings that I seem to encourage.  When life is going good. they have "but what if..." meetings and if I listen to what is presented, I seldom enjoy the good.  In fact my attendance to their agenda makes what "good" I had go away!

God does not create this "committee,"  I do.  It is created out of fear, and lack of faith.  Prayer, time in silence spent with God, spiritual reading, communal worship of God all combat this nuisance but I have to take charge to make it go away.

Today there was no reason for a "meeting" but one went on in my head anyway.  When I realized what was going on I said, "SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!"  The "committee" disappeared.  This made me feel really good!...in fact, I am still feeling good... Thank you God...

I need to do this more often...how about you?  Is there a meeting being held in your head?

God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; 
Enjoying one moment at a time; 
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; 
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it; 
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life 
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment