Wednesday, September 18, 2013

“Action expresses priorities.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

I had this great desire to go on a women's retreat at Rivendell.  I have been wanting to go on a retreat for a long time but I knew with my responsibility of Sky that it probably wouldn't work out.  Most of the time I just dreamed about it but when this specific retreat came up, I decided finally that no matter what I would make the arrangements to go.  The first person I asked to stay with Sky said yes.  I was so excited that I signed up and made the rest of the arrangements to go.  I put the dates on my calendar and started counting down the days and then today happened.  At our staff meeting at work, we were told our annual training would be the same weekend as the retreat....my heart sank but I said nothing and decided to go home and pray about it.

I take my job seriously as a teacher and a part of that job is taking a required amount of training hours each year.  In the past, I would have just bowed out of anything that was in conflict with that training, but this year I can not.  This spiritual retreat is that important to me.

Tomorrow I will have to let the director and staff know that I can not be there to take training with them.  It will take a little work, but I will have to find the necessary training elsewhere.  I love my job and I do to the best of my ability everything I can to fulfill what is necessary to keep that job....but this year my spiritual retreat takes precedence over my job training.

When it comes down to it, life and choices are all about priorities.  I will get the training, just at a different time.  The retreat comes first.  I made a commitment to God and to myself.  I set the priority and it is a good and important one.  My actions express my priorities.....and in the long run, I will not only become a better person but a better teacher as well....


No comments:

Post a Comment