Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day Two
"Walking the path"

Psalm 119:4-8

4 You have laid down precepts
    that are to be fully obeyed.
5 Oh, that my ways were steadfast
    in obeying your decrees!
6 Then I would not be put to shame
    when I consider all your commands.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart
    as I learn your righteous laws.
8 I will obey your decrees;
    do not utterly forsake me

Walking the path is just another way of expressing your life with Christ.   The psalmist recognizes the importance of following God and sincerely wishes that he could.  He praises God because he knows that his heart is right even if he falters and that he tries and asks God to never forsake him.

What a wonderful faith this writer has.  He knows what is right. He tries. He knows that he is human and sometimes fails.  He believes that God is just and he understands his human frailty.  He is humbled by God and asks for Him to be with him always even though he knows he is not worthy.  This, I believe, is the understanding one must have to be a true child of God.

And in today's devotion, if that is all I chose to read and think about it would be enough.  But the writer of this book wants you to understand this psalm and why it was such an integral part of praise of the Christian Celts.  So he shares more of their poetry and his own description of walking the path.

My walk this day with God, 
My walk this day with Christ, 
My walk this day with Spirit,
the Threefold all-kindly

....begins another poem by Carmina Gadllica.  It is a beautiful song of praise for the Holy Trinity who is with us on our journey in this life.

Then Calvin Miller illustrates what our position is with God when we walk the path.  God is like an eagle who shields her young from the heat of the day and the darkness of night with her strong wings.
He encases us with His love and we live with the promise of eternity.

And he ends the devotion with a prayer by St Columbia.  "The path I walk, Christ walks it......"

This devotion meant a lot to me this day.  It expressed the joy one feels when walking with God. and the feeling is the same with the ancient Celts and it is with me.  Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment